o/ - ALL THE DRAFTS! -
1. Bringing together some rough bits for an initial composition to work from
2. Producing a digital render of teh cityscape as a single row of buildings, playing with the contrast of red and white. Introduction of hand-written font.
3. Simply reversing white and red elements.
4. Working the title into the image
5. Working title into image, but separating the letters as their own forms.
6. Building up the cityscape with two extra layers at varying shades/opacity's.
7. Thinking about the themes within the book, how the city is described as coulourless, I decided to try black and grey.
8. Finding that the numerical version of the title didn't produce enough emphasis on the type, I rendered my typeface, with some ammendments recommended by Paul, and played with the layout of the author and title.
9. Trying black again.
10. Going back to the original negative cityscape with newer elements.
11. Bringing in the fingerprints. Introducing a more dramatic hierarchy of text and utilising available space for title.
12. Introducing quotation and blurb, rendered faces for big brother and Winston to introduce more narrative elements. Editing the title to accommodate for their presence. Continuing to play with red, black and white.
13. Trying out faces over fingerprints, providing transparent backdrop for blurb.
14. Bring red to the fingerprints, reintroducing the larger title.
I also played with the idea of working into the finger prints. But decided that though the images are interesting, the identity of the fingerprint is lost.
It was through peer and tutor feedback that I then worked to the following criteria:
-Loose the faces as they are detailed, they counteract with the idea of anonymity
-Work with the grungey, hand-made ideas across the cover, move forward with the fingerprints.
-Abandon plain skyline as it has no identity- could be attributed to any book.
-Borrow from the penguin logo palette - dark red is muted by black, combination is overused.
-Line up cover elements
-Consider making author font 1/2 the size of title, or a certain size related to it.
-Make blurb more visible by placing on plain white.
I came up with these 3 outcomes to choose from:
I was going to make a physical stencil of the title, but my scalpel broke and I didn't source a new one till' yesterday. Hand in is tomorrow. So I used clipping masks to apply some texture and edited the hue.
I also remade the finger prints for a less clustered image, using ink instead of watercolour.
I spoke to a few cohorts and Ben, from their feedback I moved towards my final outcome:
-Prefer the red tint, edit it to make black more visible against it.
-Prefer the prints working from the bottom up
-Fill space by blurb with more prints
-Standardise the size of stencil lines, regardless of the size of the font
-Give texture the title on the spine
I'm pretty darn satisfied with the way that my two typefaces came out, I'm happy with the cover over-all actually. Particularly because I don' think I'd have been able to have produced something to this quality last year.
I think that my work effectively conveys the themes of the text, as I had them in mind throughout experimentation. The title on the front page uses as much space as possible, replicating the imposing nature of The Party. The main font is stylistically how I imagined it to be and although my initial intention to produce a stencil didn't work out, the texture I've used seems to work.
My second typeface is contemporary in style and easy to read.
Despite the fingerprints being simplistic, I am happy with the amount of ideas they manage to put across; the collection of identity from the party and removal of freedom. They also look like featureless figures and abstractly imitate a cityscape.
If I had more time on the project, I'd probably think about how to integrate the blurb within the design, maybe finding or creating a font for it which would allow it to fill more space on the back cover. Perhaps introduce colour to the quote also.