Monday, 27 January 2014

Book cover: Thought process

My design ideas for the cover for 1984 originate with the Christmas homework, and my ideas for creating a typeface.


Scans from sketchbook


I decided to create a stencil based font, something which the party could reproduce with efficiency. I thought that the party would use a typeface which had martial qualities, but was slightly stylised and imperious. This led me to constraining the letters within a certain space and disregarding the practicality of the divisions within the letters.

A digital, standardised version of the font, rendered in photoshop. 


The hand-made ideas of the stencil led to the final composition of the cover. However I had explored a few other ideas before coming to that conclusion.

I found that the cityscape I included in my work for illustrated type was an effective graphic element that I wanted to experiment with.

 (the whole image photo that I have has corrupted, but here's another of part of the image so you have a reference as to what I am talking about)

This left me with a series of ideas from which to start experimenting with:


My initial thoughts were that this would have too many elements and decided to experiment with them separate.



So I produced a stencil during some studio time and used watercolours to try out the effect- not the most ideal medium to stencil with, but they show off the effect quite well.


As you can see, I built up the layers of the cityscape and had a play with working over it. I eventually rendered the negative font here into my hand-made font found on the cover.


I also worked into the buildings with a stencil I produced for the title.



As my stencil was two parts, the cut out cityscape, and the negative space left over, I thought about making a negative image.


I made up a little moc sketch of how this would look across the whole cover:



I don't know what influenced me, probably the textures in the watercolour from the brushes, but not long after I had a light-bulb moment. Where I thought that fingerprints would make a good imitation of a cityscape, while playing on the ideas of identity and collection of information. 


They also look a bit like ambiguous human forms.

I then used photoshop to edit and bring all these elements together.

No comments:

Post a Comment