Thursday, 20 February 2014

IP/E: Monster Worship - Progress and Conclusion

The main development of our monster worship images has been led through our workshop sessions, in particular the final image was influenced by a character background development session where we looked at careers or day-to-day activities for our monsters.

From background research on the Ahuizotl I decided that it would be a pretty able swimmer.
Going back to a previous sketches I took the idea of the monsters being a costume and decided to draw the Ahuizotl as if his fur was clothing.



I found the result quite funny and decided to give it a go with the Tarasque, who is made up of loads of elements.



There's a charming surreal humour to the extraordinary being in a mundane setting and by removing the different elements from the figure I had a work-around to the difficulties I'd been having coming up with a design for the Tarasque that I was happy with.



I sketched out the scene and characters, imagining that the Ahuizotl, whose fur is not fake, walks in on the Tarasque in the changing rooms as he removes his different components.
Scanning these in, I began working in photoshop.


From previous experimentation I already had an idea as to what colours I wanted to use for the Ahuizotl. When it came to the wood, I just thought about which colour seemed most natural. And when it came to selecting colours for the lines, I felt the need to stick with a colour within it's master set. So I wouldn't draw detail on top of yellow with blue or pink for example.
Taking inspiration from Jérémie Fischer, I decided to break up the block colours by adding a section of wall in the middle which just featured vertical lines.
I initially thought about using a white drop shadow to help break up the separate elements of the image, but later removed this in favour of tweaking colours and positions of objects that would be lost within each other, preventing the image from becoming too busy.





Next came adding the Tarasque. I had already worked out a scale between the two characters using the scanned images before I started colouring. It was just a case of going through the process of 'which colour adequately represents which part of the image and what can I do to bring definition to these blocks of colour?' once more. When it came to adding in all of the Tarasque's elements of clothing I found myself really exhausting the colour palette.
Something that I'm particularly pleased with is the way that I used the lines on the bear-leg trousers to give a sense of weight/ the trousers scrunching up. I think it really comes across effectively when looking at the image as a whole.


After some feedback from Ben and Rob, it was just a case of going over the image and clearing up a few parts of the image, making sure there was clarity in the facial expressions and  to make edits where shapes of the same colour overlapped, or where the lines gave the wrong impression. 

I also toyed with using the dissolve blending option to create some shadows. Though I think it works well on the sample I made, I couldn't see the shadow effect working over the whole image, especially as I had already used the darkest of my seven colours quite frequently across the image already. 


My final image. I'm not sure how to articulate the way I feel about the result. 
Maybe I let the requirements of the image limit my work too much, I feel like it could be stylistically more interesting or complex. Maybe if I had done something other than working with blocks of colour as a base for the image. As a final result for the module overall, it doesn't feel much like a concluding piece, as there was no opportunity to bring in other techniques learnt over the module.

However I do feel like I've got on well with the new processes introduced, that I've produced some effective and interesting work and look forward to implementing a few of these skills in my work in the future. I've already taken the limit palette and colour separation practise on for the preparatory work for my new print processes module. 

No comments:

Post a Comment